Friday, April 27, 2007

Echo2 and the REST Architecture

I was really impressed with the REST architecture as outlined by Phillip today. Especially with the ease of the way in which modules interact via HTTP get, put, etc commands. Instead of the big black box program that it was before splitting up the system into smaller black boxes which communicate via such simple procedures seems infinitely easier than the hidden communication channels that you had to hunt down before. When I first started out developing for Hackystat I felt like it was this big black doorless house that I was stumbling around in the dark looking for a way in. Eventually some of the hidden doors revealed themselves through the wood paneling, or I jumped through some windows, but under the rest architecture its only a bunch of outhouse shaped buildings that have clearly defined paths between them. From a developer standpoint this is infinitely better than how it was before.

I'm have a probable entry point for my TimerTask to intrude upon the Hackystat architecture, and once its working will finish the alert portion of the module. I still need to find a way to set a different time interval at which the emails get triggered for testing purposes though.

Working on the UI as I write this.